Saturday, January 30, 2010

If I were President...

Ugh. I should be in politics. There are days I feel like the last man in America with any measure of common sense. Let's fix the economy in three easy steps, ready?

1. Reduce the tax burden on American corporations. If they have more money, they'll expand, hire, and pay dividends to stockholders.

2. Create an American-made friendly marketplace by taxing the hell out of imported goods. This levels the field so the American worker can earn a decent wage and compete with the 12-cents-a-day sweatshop workers in China.

3. Rethink many of our bloated social-welfare programs. I've seen too many healthy people drawing SSI disability. It makes me physically sick. I'm not talking about people so physically or mentally damaged that they are incapable of working, but the losers milking the system.

Welfare, foodstamps, etc. (everything but Social Security and Medicare) should be considered TEMPORARY arrangements, a little help until the individual can get his/her life together and become a productive citizen. My Dad had polio. He couldn't walk without a leg brace and walking sticks. He worked every day of his life (most of it in construction) until he retired at 60. I have zero patience for the belly-achers who do nothing but wait for the first of the month and their government check.

Will my three little steps fix everything? No. But it would be a dandy start.

It's time for us, as Americans, to collectively suck it up and get moving. The alternative is to give away everything those who came before us worked so hard to build and earn. Wow, there are two words I don't hear much these days.

1 comment:

  1. Hey there, Jack Armstrong: All American Boy. Want to go get a cheeseburger and a chocolate shake at the soda fountain later?

    ReplyDelete