Thursday, December 31, 2009

Being a man of a certain age...

I love TNT's "Men of a Certain Age." It feels like the writers are spying on my life. (I'll never tell which character I am).

That said, every man over the age of 30 should have a certain amount of fashion immunity. Pick a classic look that works for you and stick with it.

For me, that look is 1950s vintage Field and Stream. I love plaid. I love khakis. I love boots. I love earth tones. I love bluejeans. This pretty much sums up my entire wardrobe.

It works for me.

When I do dress up, I have a couple of earth tone corduroy jackets (Yes, with elbow patches) and a nice tweed vest or two.

If I need something more formal, I have two suits. Yep, you guessed it; navy and charcoal. When I wear a tux, it's the classic black and white, vest not cummerbund. (Yes that's really how it's spelled; NOT cumberbund).

I'm a big fan of JC Penney's St. John's Bay, LL Bean, Dockers, Orvis, and Field and Stream Clothing. The new line for F&S is at www.fieldandstreambrand.com.

I mean, c'mon, what guy wouldn't like these jackets from F&S?




The Roosevelt Jacket





The Trigger Jacket


Notice that there's nothing trendy, nothing but pure casual class. These jackets (like the rest of my wardrobe) would have looked right 50 years ago, or 50 years from now.

1 comment: